Sunday, January 10, 2010

Saturday January 9,2010

Hello Everyone! Welcome to day 4!

Today is Randall's last full day here in Boise, and depending on all the "pit-stops" he decides to make to remember Boise by... it may be difficult to resist the temptation of declicous food.

Today was the BIG DAY!!!! At 10:30 this morning I woke up, tried on 2 bikini swim suites back and forth to decide which one made me look fatter... revealed my fat parts more... and which one I felt more uncomfortable wearing and being seen by another person in. Well neither one of them was flattering... and I felt completly horrible in both. You may be wondering why I am doing this... it is because it is picture day at Gold's Gym for the 2010 Body Success Challenge. The entire competition is based on the before and after picture. The judges determine who made the most progress in their 12 week weight loss journey based on 2 single snapshots... the dreaded before pictures and the hopefully wonderful after picture. So, Mike the Trainer said to acheive this properly I needed to wear a swimsuit (to show off the most of my body to see the most change), and I needed to push my tummy out (not hard), slouch my shoulders, double my chin, keep my legs close together, eat a little before hand and be a white as possible... check, check, check and check! I dont think He realized how easy all those tasks would be for me... except standing in a swim-suit...
When I walked into the room with the professional photographer, he said to me... "Oh you're not as big as some of the other girls." This could be taken in many different ways... 1) A compliment, he has been taking a lot of pics of a lot of overweight people. 2) He noticed that I am big... just not obese. 3) He doesn't think I have a chance in the competition, I don't have as much to lose. So you know what I did?? I stuck my belly out at him as far as I could!!!

After the picture I had all the measurements taken: This may bore you... but I suppose this is part of the journey, before and after. Here they are:
Weight: 169 (I guess I gained a couple lbs... crud!)
Neck: 13 in.
Chest: 38.5 in.
Upper Arm: 11.5 in.
Forearm: 9.75 in.
Waist: 36.25 in.
Hip: 45.75 in.
Thigh: 23.25 in.
Calf: 15.75 in.
Whoa... I need these two programs more than I thought.

Sidenote: I would like to encorage anyone who is maybe struggle with their weight to go into their gym and ask a fitness specalist to measure you and take your weight and body fat. Most places will do it for free because they want you to hire them as a result. But it will at least, like it has for me, open your eyes to where you really might be. I have been really understating how overweight I have become. Seeing these numbers I realize there is not a better time than now to fix this. Also, if you work out at Gold's, the Body Success Challenge is only $49 and it comes with a lot of perks to help in your weight loss journey (tans, supplements, vitamens, etc.)

After looking at the numbers and seeing myself in a bikini, I couldn't just walk out of the gym. I spent the next hour doing free weights.
  • I started with a one-legged squat (put my right foot--toes--on a bench and extend the leg until it is only slightly bent. Then with hand weights begin doing squats with all your weight on the left leg. Pump the handweights in same motion. 10 each leg for 3 reps)
  • Next I did arms-- Take one 10lb handweight start in right hand, rotate right arm with weight behind your back, and swing it around to your front, exchange weight to left hand and swing left hand behind back and bring it back to front to exhchange with right hand. 20 times, 3 reps
  • Next I did dumbell squats--Again a 10lb weight held with both hands. Legs shoulder width apart, squat with dumbell between your legs, and as your rise swing dumbell out and up over your head. As you squat again, bring dumbell back down between your legs. 20 times and 3 reps
  • Finally I did sit ups on a stay ball. Place the ball on the small of your back and toes against a wall. Use your abs to sit up. 20 times, 5 reps. Also try touching your elbow to the opposite knee. 20 times 5 reps. Third, Lay on a flat surface, bench or floor, and lift your legs and chest towards each other using your abs, again 2 times, 5 reps= 300 situps!

After my gym workout I went to lunch with Randall at NY Deli. I had a cup of chili (no cheese, some crackers) with a egg and cheese wheat bagle.

Although I wouldn't classify it as exercise, I know it does burn some calories, Randall and I walked around the mall for a couple of hours.

For dinner we had his craving before he left... Arctic Circle. I had a crispy chicken sandwich, no mayonaise, but added cheese with frech fries and a small milkshake. THIS WAS NOT GOOD!!!

Now that Randall in going back to Boston and there isn't a need to go out to dinner... I can focus more on eating healthier! The Challenge is on!!! Please let me know some good alternatives you might find to some of your favorite foods, or ways you are working out! God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Eating is my toughest challenge. I drink harldy any soda anymore but drink water or flavored water. I am starting to eat more white cheese instead of yellow cheeses if I have to have cheese but sometimes I do without. And I'm using red wine vinegar as salad dressing.
    I can't wait to read how you adjust your eating because I could use some more options. :)
    Oh yah - and I NEVER forego french fries. I just can't sacrifice them - ever. I love them.

    ReplyDelete