Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Monday, Jan 11

Today was wonderful! I had the day off from both Wells Fargo and Red Robin... which meant hopefully a lot to accomplish.

The start of the day was a little sleeping in instead of working out... not too bad in my opinion. A girl needs to sleep past day break sometimes! I was so thankful that today I was going to spend the morning with a wonderful friend and have fellowship with her about life over the last few months. We decided to have coffee for breakfast... Dutch Bros. to be exact.
I had a medium milky way.
Calories: 325
Calories from fat: 10.6
Honestly, not as bad as I thought it was going to be!!!

Because coffee fills me up pretty fast I wasn't too hungry when 2pm rolled around and I wasn't too hungry. So to follow the rule to eat when you're "not too hungry" so you don't over eat when you are very hungry, I made an egg salad sandwich with a glass of milk.
1 hard boiled egg: 76 Calories
1 tbsp. of mustard: 11 calories
1 tbsp. of relish: 21 calories
2 pieces of bread (white whole grain): 240 Calories (120 each)
1 c. skim milk: 160 Calories
Total lunch: 508 Calories

I spent part of my afternoon at the gym... bet you thought since I slept in I wasn't going today! Psych!!! The first 30 min was free weights.
I did:
  • 2 reps of 20 1 legged squats (refer to previous post about these)
  • 2 reps of 20 weight hand-offs around the waist (refer to previous post about these)
  • 2 reps of 20 squats with weights between legs and over head (refer to previous post about these)
  • 50 toe raises-- I take two 12lb weights, balance my weight on the balls of my feet and raise onto my tiptoes, then back to the balls of my feet at a rapid pace-- work the calf muscles and brings balance to your workout
  • 30 air punches--two 12lb weights. punch each hand with weights straight up into the air opposite of each other. 3 sets of 20 (I typically do 20 toe raises, 20 air punches, and repeat).
  • Lastly I did a machine that I haven't done before. I don't know what it is called, but I really liked it. Next time I go I will look at what it is called, but for now I will just describe it. It has a rope attached to it and a handle on each side of the rope to hold onto. The base that the rope is attached to moves higher and lower depending on what part of your arms, back, shoulders, and even legs and abs you want to work! The resistance of the rope was set for 25lbs. First I had the rope high so I had to pull is straight down my belly, I did this 20 times. I then moved the height so it was parallel to my chest and pulled it toward me 20 times. Next I put it very low so I had to pull up toward my shoulders, again 20 times. Then I put it slightly above my head, turned my back to the machine and pulled it across my shoulders at a downward angle, 20 times. I will try this machine again, It really has a lot of potential!

THEN... from 5:30 to 6:30 I did body combat. I have done a lot of the Les Mills Body classes before, and some I liked and others I didn't. This one was new for me. It is exactly what it sounds... combat... a lot of punching, kicking, jabbing, jumping, etc. Basically it was 60 min. of intense anger management... while burning A LOT of calories!!!! I really enjoyed this class. It didn't take as much coordination as some of the others, and it was something that I was able to do without feeling like I was going to die or get stuck in a muscle cramp. I also liked the pace and the challenge it had. It is definitely a class I would suggest to anyone looking for something fun and intense for a good workout!

For dinner I had another blessing to spend time with a great mentor and friend that I haven't seen in a while. We went to Chili's... I tried to be good, but it was SO hard.

This is what I had... Honestly I thought I was ordering somewhat decent, but now that I look at the items online, I realized how far off I was.

  • 1/2 a smoked turkey sandwich (no mayonnaise): 465 Calories
  • French Fries: 520 Calories
  • House Salad: 140 Calories
  • Bleu Cheese Dressing: 160 Calories
  • Total: 1285 Calories

However, the calorie listing was for an entire basket of french fries, which I did not eat, and the bleu cheese for an entire serving, which I didn't eat. So I would average this meal at about 980 Calories.

For dessert we shared a Denny's Apple Crisp (Chili's closed a 9!!) Splitting it in 1/2 gives me 361.5 Calories from the Apple Crisp.

My days total Calories were 2479.5--- This is actually shocking to me because I thought I did decent. I am learning so much about what kinds of food I am taking into my body. It really is no wonder that I gained the weight that I did. I am learning so much by keeping this blog. I have a lot of new habits to make, I need to look at food completely differently and find what is actually good for me to eat, not just assume that I am making the right choice.

I believe that at the gym I burned approx. 1000-1500 Calories. The approximate calories burned in the class I took average around 800-900 Calories, and the weights that I did would push it up a couple hundred more calories. Throughout the day I probably burned around 500. At most this would put me at 2000 calories burned today. This is not enough to lose weight. I need the intake of calories to be below the output of calories by a decent to significant amount if I am going to lose any weight.

Thank you for being a part of this experience with me. I am truly learning so much by writing this all out, and I hope you are too. Please feel free to share your tips and struggles or comments... God bless

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment